Marriott Hotels & Resorts plans to open 49 new hotels and resorts in the next four years, the new hotels representing a multi-billion-dollar investment in the brand by owners and franchisees worldwide.
With more than 500 hotels and 180,000 rooms currently open in 54 countries, Marriott Hotels & Resorts is Marriott International‘s most widely distributed brand, with a concentration of hotels in the U.S., U.K., Canada, Europe, China and Mexico.
Hotels under development will be mostly in emerging business and leisure destinations, with 24 hotels in the Asia/Pacific region, nine in the Middle East and Africa, four in Europe and 12 in the Americas.
“Look for our hotels and resorts in many emerging business and leisure destinations, such as Jaipur, Cartagena, Algiers, Marrakech, Accra [in] Ghana, Kigali [in] Rwanda, and Vietnam,” said Paul Cahill, senior vice president, brand management for Marriott Hotels & Resorts.
The brand is also featuring new designs for its hotels’ lobbies, restaurants, fitness facilities and guest rooms. The most notable new amenity is the new, reinvented Marriott Hotels & Resorts lobby, according to the company.
Six new hotels are expected to open this year:
● The 295-room Shanghai Marriott Luwan opens this month on the Huangpu River in the popular Luwan district. The hotel is close to Xintiandi and surrounded by parks, shopping complexes, office buildings and the Mercedes Benz Arena. Most guest rooms have a river view; hotel amenities include six restaurants and lounges, a 24-hour health club, and 1,510 square meters (16,300 square feet) of meeting space;
● The 364-room Jaipur Marriott Hotel opens this month as Marriott International’s first hotel in Jaipur, the capital of Rajasthan. Jaipur is known as the Pink City and is recognized as one of the 10 most beautiful cities of India. The Jaipur Marriott will have the largest room inventory in the city, seven restaurants and a nightclub, a Quan spa, and the largest ballroom in India, measuring 3,395 square meters (43,000 square feet);
● The five-star, 720-room Shanghai Marriott Hotel City Centre opens this summer. Marriott says this will be a major addition to Shanghai’s finest meeting and convention hotels, with more than 2,000 square meters (22,000 square feet) of dedicated event space in the heart of downtown, within walking distance of Nanjing Road Pedestrian Street, People’s Square and the Bund. Other amenities include five restaurants and lounges, a fitness center and a spa;
● The 319-room Guangzhou Marriott Hotel Tianhe opens this fall. The hotel is located in the Tianhe district of Guangzhou, China’s third-largest city, which is 75 miles northeast of Hong Kong. The new hotel will have three restaurant outlets, a lobby lounge, 1,200 square meters (13,000 square feet) of meeting facilities; and a spacious fitness center;
● The 199-room Rayong Marriott Resort & Spa, opening in late fall. Marriott expects this hotel to put Rayong on the map as a new, international leisure destination. Situated on the Gulf of Thailand, Rayong has lush forests, waterfalls, botanical gardens and spectacular beaches. Guestrooms and villas at the resort will have panoramic views of the Gulf of Thailand. Amenities include four restaurants, a lobby lounge, 880 square meters (9,500 square feet) of meeting space, a fitness center and spa, a kid’s club and a water sports pavilion; and
● The 392-room Haikou Marriott Resort and Spa opens in late fall. This hotel will be part of the new Hainan International Conference & Exhibition Center, located on the west coast of Hainan Island in the capital of China’s Hainan province. Haikou is Hainan’s hub for commerce, leisure, tourism and high-end residential activity. The hotel will offer three restaurants, a lobby bar and lounge, 1,351 square meters (14,500 square feet) of meeting space, a fitness center, a spa and tennis courts.