Carlson is planning to have more than 100 hotels in operation in India by 2015, according to Hubert Joly, Carlson’s president and chief executive officer, who announced the target during a signing ceremony for two new hotel agreements in India.
Setting the momentum for its robust expansion, Carlson has announced that after opening eight hotels in the world’s second-most-populous country in 2010, it is planning to add at least 15 more in 2011.
Carlson Hotels Worldwide, which opened three hotels in India in the first half of the year, is scheduled to open another five hotels by the year end. These include the 178-room Radisson Hotel New Delhi Paschim Vihar; the 120-room Radisson Hotel Rudrapur; the 73-room Country Inn & Suites Gurgaon Sector 12; the 94-room Park Plaza Ahmedabad; and the 80-room Park Plaza Faridabad.
India’s largest international hotel company, Carlson has also signed two new hotel agreements in west and south India. One is for the 275-room Radisson Blu Hotel Mumbai Malad and the other is for the 110-room Park Plaza Coimbatore.
Construction of the US$52 million upper-upscale Radisson Blu Hotel Mumbai Malad will begin immediately, with the hotel expected to open in 2014.
The 275-room property, which is owned by American Spring and Pressing Works Private Limited, is located on Chunilal Girdharilal Marg off SV Road, one of the main roads connecting the city of Mumbai to its western suburbs, and near the city’s Central Business District area of Andheri East. The hotel will feature contemporary rooms and will include an all-day dining restaurant, two specialty food outlets, a tea lounge and a 10,000-square-foot banquet and meeting facility.
Owned by Sabari Inn Private Limited, the $15 million Park Plaza Coimbatore is scheduled to open next year. Located 4 kilometres from Coimbatore International Airport, it will feature four suites, 14 deluxe and 92 executive rooms. Food and beverage options will include a restaurant, a coffee shop, a rooftop restaurant and a bar. The hotel will also have two banquet halls that can accommodate up to 500 guests each, as well as two board rooms seating up to 40 people.
The three Carlson hotels which opened in the second quarter of 2010 are:
● Radisson Marina Hotel Connaught Place: This is New Delhi’s first heritage, boutique hotel. Located in the Central Business District area, it is in close proximity to the Airport Express Line Metro Station and the New Delhi Railway Station. The 93-room hotel has an extensive offering of food and beverage outlets, and wellness facilities;
● Radisson Hotel Indore: A 20-minute drive from Devi Ahilyabai airport, this 201-room hotel is close to historical attractions such as the Holkar Palace and the Lal Bang Palace. It will offer 18 suites and 183 guestrooms and will have a variety of dining options including The Creative Kitchen, The Great Kebab Factory and The Cakewalk pastry shop; and
● Radisson Resort Temple Bay Mamallapuram: Spread across 44 acres of lush tropical gardens, this 144-room hotel features a meandering 27,000-square-foot swimming pool and a pitch-and-putt golf course, as well as four dining outlet options.
Future Carlson hotel openings in India include:
● Radisson Hotel Agra: Located in the city of Uttar Pradesh and in close proximity to the Taj Mahal, the 140-room hotel will feature a spa, an all-day dining and speciality restaurant, a bar and a tea lounge as well as over 10,000 square feet of banquet and meeting facilities;
● Radisson Hotel Amritsar: Located adjacent to Raja Sansi International Airport and nearby tourist attractions such as the Golden Temple, this 186-room hotel will offer 24 suites and 162 guestrooms;
● Radisson Hotel Greater Noida: This 175-room hotel will offer guests an array of facilities including an all day dining restaurant, two speciality restaurants, a bar, a tea lounge, a fitness centre, and a 7,000-square-foot banquet and meeting facility;
● Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Mumbai Powai: Owned by Rajesh Business and Leisure Hotels Limited, this 335-room property will be designed by architect Hafeez Contractor, together with Hirsch Bedner, a design-consulting firm known for its hospitality interior-design work. Located 8 kilometres from the airport, the hotel will offer all-day dining, three speciality restaurants and a tea lounge. The hotel wil lalso have a wellness and spa facility; and
● Country Inns and Suites by Carlson Gurgaon National Highway 8: This 200-room hotel will showcase a multi-cuisine restaurant, a speciality restaurant, a health club and spa and will feature an outdoor swimming pool, as well as conference and banquet facilities.