Holidu, a holiday rental booking site that compares millions of seasonal rental offers in Europe, has revealed the 20 most popular Greek islands for French people for holidays in Greece: www.holidu.fr/locations-de-vacances /greece#island.
Greece is a top destination for summer holidays, but some islands are overwhelmed by mass tourism in July and August. The Greek government is looking to redirect visitors to other islands and in other seasons to relieve pressure on the most popular destinations.
Here are the top-5 of the most popular Greek islands to visit… or to avoid?
- Crete – 110,000.00 monthly Google searches
The island of Crete is officially the most popular island in Greece among French tourists. It is easy to understand this choice! The island of Crete offers a warm and sunny Mediterranean climate almost all year round, with wonderful beaches and crystal clear waters. For those looking for more than a deckchair, the island of Crete has a rich history and culture to share, with fascinating archaeological sites and towns
picturesque like Chania and Rethymnon.
- Santorini – 90,500.00 monthly Google searches
Santorini is a beautiful volcanic island in the Aegean Sea and its unique geology gives rise to some of the most incredible natural landscapes! It is famous for breathtaking sunsets, black sand beaches with crystal clear waters and picturesque villages perched on the tops of the hills. Santorini has a
unique atmosphere, hard to describe and waiting for you to discover it.
- Corfu – 74,000.00 monthly Google searches
The island of Corfu has a diverse landscape, ranging from its pristine beaches to its rugged mountains and lush forests. Corfu has a rich history reflected in its architecture and museums, and it has been inhabited since antiquity and has been influenced
by various cultures, including the Greeks, Romans, Venetians and British. Visitors can sample traditional Greek cuisine, enjoy local festivals, and experience the island’s vibrant nightlife.
- Rhodes – 60,500.00 monthly Google searches
Rhodes is a beautiful island located in the Aegean Sea, off the west coast of Turkey. With its golden sandy beaches, sunny climate and rich history, it is one of the most popular destinations for French tourists visiting Greece.
The island has a wide variety of activities to offer, from beaches and water sports to historic tours of the many archaeological sites. Furthermore, Rhodes offers a unique architecture that blends Byzantine, Medieval and Ottoman styles. It is easily accessible from France, with direct flights available from
Paris and Marseilles.
- Mykonos – 60,500.00 monthly Google searches, ranked fifth among the most popular islands in Greece this year. This island is known for its lively nightlife with many clubs, bars and restaurants that stay open until late at night. It of course has many beautiful beaches, from secluded coves to lively party spots, the most famous being Paradise Beach, Super Paradise Beach and Psarou Beach. Mykonos is renowned for its traditional architecture with its whitewashed houses and colorful doors. The town of Mykonos, also called “Chora”, with its picturesque alleys and squares, is perfect for exploration.