From May 14 until May 30, 2010, Prague will host the largest annual beer festival in the Czech Republic. Some 70 different Czech beers will be featured at the Czech Beer Festival Prague on Mondays through Fridays between 3 p.m. and 2 a.m. and from 12 noon to midnight on weekends.
For more information about the Czech Beer Festival Prague, visit www.ceskypivnifestival.cz/en.
The event (held at the Prague Fair PVA Letňany) is also promoted as a culinary festival, where specialties of the chefs of famous Czech restaurants and catering companies, such as Svejk Restaurant, Vysehrad 2000 or Intercatering, can be sampled. Large tents will be set up to accommodate the expected 10,000-plus visitors and each tent will have its own stage and live entertainment.
Austrian Airlines Vacation Center has created a special package for travel to the Czech Republic during the Czech Beer Festival Prague. You can find more details and book at www.austrianair-vacations.com/cbf2010. Starting at $1,559 per person (plus government fees), double occupancy, the package includes:
● Roundtrip air transportation, on Austrian Airlines, economy class, between New York (JFK) or Washington (IAD) and Prague, Czech Republic. One optional stopover in Vienna en route to or from Prague is allowed at no additional charge;
● Three nights hotel accommodation in Prague in Hotel Chopin;
● Morning Grand City Tour, a half-day excursion;
● Pilsen and “Pilsner Urquell” Brewery Tour, a full-day tour including the Pilsner Urquell Brewery, Beer Brewing Museum, lunch in the Spilka Beer Restaurant, and the Koneprusy Caves. The tour is operated on Wednesdays and Saturdays;
● Lunch in the typical restaurant u Medvídků, the meal offering a three-course menu plus an aperitif and three beers;
● Map and Prague information;
● Delivery of the vouchers and information materials to the hotel reception upon arrival; and
● Daily buffet breakfast, hotel service charges and hotel taxes.
If you want to sample Czech beers on your own at another time, Austrian Airlines Vacation Center has a separate air-and-hotel package called “Here for the Beer”, details of which are available at www.austrianair-vacations.com/hereforthebeer. It is specifically created for individual travelers who want to discover where some of the best beer in the world was first brewed – and where it is still being made according to centuries-old traditions and recipes.
Starting at $1,299 per person (plus government fees), double occupancy in the shoulder season (ending on May 13), the “Here For The Beer” vacation package includes roundtrip economy class air transportation on Austrian Air between either New York (JFK) or Washington, D.C. (IAD) and Prague; three nights hotel accommodation in the superior tourist class Hotel St. George; daily buffet breakfast; hotel service charges and hotel taxes.
In addition, the package offers a 3-hour walking tour in the evening including three beers plus dinner; a full-day Pilsen and Pilsner Urquell Brewery Tour plus lunch in the Spilka Beer Restaurant; and a three-course dinner at the traditional Prague restaurant Pivovarsky dum. The $1,299 package is also valid for travel between August 31 and October 24, 2010, while the rate for travel during the peak summer months (between June 1 and August 30) is $1,699 per person.