Weather Decision Technologies, Inc. has developed a new severe-weather warning system with advanced features for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
Known as the iMapWeather Radio App, the system provides information on life-threatening weather – from tornadoes to floods to hurricanes – on a mobile device and offers features which Weather Decision Technologies (WDT) says go beyond traditional weather radio broadcasting services.
Features offered by the app include the ability to “wake up” when danger approaches, instant voice and text alerts and real-time video.
“Think of the iMapWeather Radio app as a highly advanced weather radio right on your mobile device – a key tool to being prepared for dangerous weather,” says Mike Eilts, president and CEO of WDT. “With iMapWeather Radio, users receive precise location-based alerts of severe weather coming their way, acting as an early warning to help individuals and families seek safety. And, because the app is available on 3G-capable devices like the iPhone and iPad, users still receive vital information when the power goes out and TV and radios can’t be turned on.”
Key safety features offered by the iMapWeather Radio app are:
● Precise Alerts: According to Waether Decision Technologies, iMapWeather Radio provides more precise alerts than those offered by the existing services, sending alerts only if the device or saved locations fall inside a watch/warning polygon;
● Follow Me: When on the go, users automatically receive an alert if they move into an area under a watch/warning;
● Friends and Family: With iMapWeather Radio, users can pinpoint up to five locations for the app to follow. This allows the user to ensure that their friends and family, whether at school, out of state, at a ballgame, etc., are safe as well;
● Battery Life: The application is designed to conserve battery life even while using GPS;
● Audio: iMapWeather Radio provides audio alerts in the form of beeps followed by a brief description of the alert type – 24 hours a day; and
● Video: In markets where local media partners participate, users can get streaming video of severe-weather coverage.
The iMapWeather Radio app is available for $9.99 from the App Store on all iPhones, iPads and the iPod Touch. Weather Decision Technologies says the app will also be available at the Android app store for Android devices later this year.
WDT provides state-of-the-science weather detection, nowcasting, and forecasting systems. The company maintains operational and international offices in Norman, Oklahoma, and Atlanta, Georgia. For more information, see the company’s websites at www.wdtinc.com and www.weatherforensics.com.