The Third Annual Harvest on the Harbor, Maine’s top food and wine festival, will be held from October 21 through October 23 at Ocean Gateway on Portland’s picturesque waterfront.
New events this year will include The Ultimate Seafood Splash, a spread of environmentally sustainable seafood samplings and savory wines, and The Perfect Pairing, an epicurean affair featuring gourmet hors d’oeuvres paired with matching wines to bring out the fresh autumnal flavor of these fusions.
This year, Harvest expands its scope to highlight some of the best wines on local chefs’ lists. Wines from all over the world will be featured, from large, state of the art wineries to small-production, handcrafted bottlings, some made from rare or unusual grape varieties.
Harvest on the Harbor showcases authentic and gourmet products from local farmers, fishermen, food artisans and wine, beer and spirit makers. Thousands have turned out for the event in past years, and People magazine named Harvest on the Harbor one of four “Great Ideas” for fall food fests.
“We are so proud that Harvest on the Harbor has earned a reputation as one of the best food and wine festivals in the country, and this year’s event will only boost that standing,” says Barbara Whitten, president of the Greater Portland Convention & Visitors Bureau. “In addition to our traditional events, such as the signature Grand Tasting and The Maine Lobster Chef of the Year Competition, we’ve added new events that will enhance the experience and celebrate what makes Maine a true culinary destination.”
The 2010 Harvest On The Harbor events include:
● The new Ultimate Seafood Splash, will be held Thursday, October 21 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Ocean View Room at Ocean Gateway. The tastes of savory smoked salmon and locally harvested oysters from Maine’s fabled “blue thumbs” will be complemented by an assortment of wines from around the world;
● The Grand Tasting on the Harbor, which sold out last year, is slated for Thursday, October 21 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., in the Ocean View Room at Ocean Gateway. This amuse-bouche (pleasing to the palate) event features the region’s premier culinary talents, combined with a unique cross-section of local and international wines. Guests will have the opportunity to interact with esteemed chefs and beverage connoisseurs;
● The Maine Lobster Chef of the Year Competition, sponsored by the Maine Lobster Council, is scheduled for Friday, October 22 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., in the Ocean View Room at Ocean Gateway. Three Maine finalists, chosen by a distinguished panel of judges, will prepare their best lobster recipes, and attendees will have the opportunity to taste all three dishes as part of a four-course lunch (along with dessert by Wicked Whoopies) then vote for the winner. Last year’s Lobster Chef of the Year winner, Mackenzie Arrington, will represent Maine at the Great American Seafood Cook-off in New Orleans in August;
● During The Perfect Pairing, from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Friday, October 22 in the Ocean View Room at Ocean Gateway, National and local celebrity chefs and fine wineries showcase an event where attendees experience cooking demonstrations, learn tips, techniques and expertise from food and wine professionals; and
● This year, due to popular demand, there will be two sessions of the Savory Samplings at the Marketplace (the food and wine marketplace) on Saturday, October 23 from noon to 2:30 p.m. and from 4:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. More than 140 food artisans, epicurean purveyors, cookbook authors and Maine-made products will be available at the expanded Oceanside Pavilion along Portland’s waterfront. Grilling and baking demonstrations will be presented throughout each session. A coffee cafe and live music stage will also be featured this year.
For more information or to purchase tickets and hotel accommodations go to www.HarvestOnTheHarbor.com.