San Diego is hosting the third stop of the America’s Cup World Series, the world’s top sailboat-racing competition, from November 12 to November 20, 2011.
Spectators will be able to find many places to watch the races on San Diego Bay, considered to be one of the best natural harbors for racing on North America’s west coast.
Beginning November 12, nine high-tech, high-speed catamarans representing seven nations will race in San Diego Bay, potentially achieving speeds of more than 30 miles per hour.
The America’s Cup World Series kicks off on opening weekend, November 12 and November 13, with three fleet (exhibition) races, and culminates in the days from November 16 to November 20, when teams compete for Series points during the Match and Fleet Racing Championships.
San Diego’s Embarcadero, Harbor Island, Shelter Island, Coronado Ferry Landing and numerous other locations along San Diego Bay will offer excellent views of the action as the vessels race from the starting line just off Navy and Broadway Piers near the city’s downtown area. A variety of other activities on land will complement the action on water, including food and shopping at the America’s Cup Village, a racing simulator ride, a battle of the bands live music event and more.
For a complete schedule of the races and other official America’s Cup events, visit www.AmericasCup.com/sandiego.
During the America’s Cup World Series, visitors to San Diego can find a variety of hotels offering specials ranging from discounted room nights to exclusive racing-oriented package deals:
● At the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, located along San Diego Bay, guests who book a room from November 12 to November 20 can enjoy an America’s Cup World Series package featuring accommodations in a Deluxe Bay Tower guestroom offering spectacular views of the bay along with a cheese and wine welcome amenity. Rates start at $159 per night, plus tax; book online at www.sheratonsandiegohotel.com/americas-cup.html or call 866-716-8134 and use discount code SIAMCUP;
● At the Holiday Inn on the Bay, located directly across from the Navy and Broadway Piers and featuring spectacular views of the race course, guests can receive a special America’s Cup rate for $109 per night, plus tax, during the period November 12 to November 16, and $159 per night, plus tax, during the period November 17 to November 20, based upon availability. Book at www.hisandiegoonthebay.com/americas-cup-sandiego;
● Humphrey’s Half Moon Inn & Suites on Shelter Island is offering an “America’s Cup Races” reduced rate for the final weekend of the race, from November 18 to November 20. Rates start at $139 per night, plus tax, for accommodations in newly renovated guestrooms; book by calling 800-542-7400 and mention the America’s Cup Races to receive the special rates; and
● The San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina, located on San Diego Bay, is offering guests an “Escape Your Way” package featuring accommodations in a deluxe guest room, complimentary parking and a $30 food and beverage credit for each day booked. Rates start at $169 per night, plus tax; book online at www.marriott.com/specials/mesOffer.mi?marrOfferId=454566&displayLink=true or call 888-236-2427 and use discount code ZJL.
The America’s Cup World Series is partnering with more than 50 San Diego hotels to offer discounted rates in a wide range of properties, from budget-friendly to luxuriously appointed. Visit http://hotels.americascup.com for a complete list of hotels and availability.
Two local culinary festivals are also occurring this November in San Diego:
● As the home of more than three dozen microbreweries, San Diego is celebrating its love for beer during San Diego Beer Week, from November 4 to November 13. Hundreds of beer-centric events take place throughout the county during this 10-day festival highlighting San Diego’s award-winning craft beer, breweries and pubs; and
● From November 16 to November 20, the San Diego Bay Wine & Food Festival, the region’s largest wine and culinary event, is featuring 170 wine and spirit purveyors and 70 of San Diego’s top chefs. Held at venues throughout downtown San Diego, the festival includes gourmet food, celebrity chefs, wine tasting, a Reserve & New Release Tasting event and more.
Pages: 1 2