Delta Air Lines plans to launch new or expanded service to 10 destinations in the Caribbean, Bermuda and Florida from New York LaGuardia Airport and John F. Kennedy International Airport, continuing its program of service expansion in New York.
The new flights, which will begin in late 2012 and early 2013, are in addition to Delta Air Lines’ previously announced expansion at New York LaGuardia, where the airline is adding more than 100 new flights to 26 new destinations this summer. When its full schedule is implemented, Delta will operate more than 260 daily flights between LaGuardia and more than 60 cities, exceeding any other carrier operating at the airport.
Delta also is optimizing its schedule at New York JFK to facilitate convenient connections to international flights. JFK is a major global gateway for Delta, which operates non-stop flights to more than 45 international destinations from the airport.
“We’re excited to be announcing new and expanded service to these popular leisure destinations at the same time we’re building our new domestic hub at LaGuardia Airport,” says Gail Grimmett, Delta’s senior vice president – New York. “It’s another step toward achieving our goal of becoming the preferred airline in New York.”
In conjunction with its expansion at New York LaGuardia, Delta is investing $160 million to modernize two terminals at the airport and construct a new walkway connecting the facilities
At JFK, Delta is currently under way on a $1.2 billion program to enhance and expand Terminal 4, adding nine new gates and creating a state-of-the-art gateway. That facility will open in spring 2013.
New and expanded Delta Air Lines service to the Caribbean and Bermuda will include:
● New daily year-round service between LaGuardia and Bermuda, with Boeing 737s. Beginning on April 8, 2013, the year-round service will depart LGA at 9:55 a.m. and arrive at Bermuda’s L.F. Wade International Airport (BDA) at 1:05 p.m. local time. In the other direction, the flight will leave BDA at 2:05 p.m. and touch down at LGA at 3:40 p.m. local time;
● Subject to government approval, new Saturday flights between JFK and St. Maarten’s Princess Juliana International Airport (SXM) with Boeing 757s. Starting on December 15, the flight will depart JFK every Saturday at 9:05 a.m. and reach SXM at 2:15 p.m. local time. In the other direction, the return flight will leave SXM at 3:15 p.m. and land at JFK at 6:05 p.m. local time;
● From December 15, Delta’s LaGuardia-Nassau flights will be expanded from seasonal to year-round service. Operated by McDonnell Douglas MD-88s, the daily flights will leave LaGuardia at 10:45 a.m. and land at Nassau’s Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS) at 2:15 p.m. In the other direction, the flight is timed to depart NAS at 3:15 p.m. and reach LGA at 6:30 p.m.;
● As of December 15, Delta will increase its JFK-Montego Bay, Jamaica seasonal service from Saturday-only flights to daily service. Operated by Boeing 737s, the daily flight will push back from the gate at JFK at 8:45 a.m. and reach Montego Bay Sangster International Airport (MBJ) at 1:02 p.m. local time. In the other direction, the flight will depart MBJ at 2:00 p.m. and touch down at JFK at 5:58 p.m. local time;
● Beginning on December 15, Delta Air Lines will increase its Saturday seasonal JFK-Aruba schedule to daily year-round service. Operated by Boeing 737s, the daily flight will begin taxiing at JFK at 8:10 a.m. and arrive at Aruba’s Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA) at 2:12 p.m. local time. In the other direction, the daily flight will depart AUA at 3:15 p.m. and reach JFK at 7:36 p.m. local time; and
● From February 14, 2013, Delta’s service between JFK and Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic will expand from Saturday seasonal flights to daily year-round service. Operated by Boeing 737s, the daily service will push back from the gate at JFK at 8:20 a.m. and get to Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ) at 1:40 p.m. local time. The return flight is timed to leave PUJ at 2:40 p.m. and arrive at JFK at 6:14 p.m. local time.
With the beginning of Delta’s winter schedule on December 15, the airline will also be offering new and expanded service to a number of Florida cities from LaGuardia and JFK. Delta’s strengthened New York-Florida schedule includes:
● Two new daily flights with MD-88s between LaGuardia and Sarasota Bradenton International Airport (SRQ). One flight will leave LGA at 8:45 a.m. and arrive at SRQ at 12:00 noon. The second will depart LGA at 4:15 p.m. and reach SRQ at 7:30 p.m. In the other direction, one flight will push back from the gate at SRQ at 12:45 p.m. and land at LGA at 3:45 p.m., while the other will begin taxiing at SRQ at 4:50 p.m. and touch down at LGA at 7:50 p.m.;
● A new daily flight between JFK and Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW), which serves Fort Myers. The MD-88 flight will leave JFK at JFK at 3:45 p.m. and get to Fort Myers at 7:11 p.m. In the other direction, the daily flight is scheduled to depart RSW at 12:00 noon and get to JFK at 3:00 p.m.;
● A fourth daily flight between LaGuardia and Fort Myers. This MD-88 service is timed to leave LGA at 2:00 p.m. and land at RSW at 5:25 p.m. In the other direction, the flight is timed to push back from the gate at RSW at 6:10 p.m. and get to LGA at 9:10 p.m.;
● A fifth daily flight between LaGuardia and Miami. This MD-88 service is timed to leave LGA at 9:00 a,m, and touch down at Miami International Airport (MIA) at 12:16 p.m. In the other direction, the flight will depart MIA at 1:00 p.m. and arrive at LGA at 4;10 p.m.;
● A fifth daily flight between LaGuardia and Tampa. This Airbus A320 flight will push back from the gate at LGA at 9:00 a.m. and land at Tampa International Airport (TPA) at 12:09 p.m. In the other direction, the additional flight will leave TPA at 12:00 noon and arrive at LGA at 2:51 p.m.; and
● A second daily flight between JFK and Tampa. Operated by Airbus A320 equipment, this flight is timed to begin taxiing at JFK at 8:15 a.m. and to reach TPA at 11:31 a.m. In the other direction, the additional flight will depart TPA at 3:20 p.m. and touch down at JFK at 6:05 p.m.